On Wednesday I’m going to a student activities conference (NACA Mid-America) & I don’t even work in student activities. I am missing three days of work at my actual job in Transfer Admissions at Benedictine University at Springfield to attend NACA Mid America. My involvement in graduate school was in student activities and with NACA but my first job was in Admissions. I wasn’t ready to give up my NACA involvement and so I’m headed to Kentucky in a few days! You don’t have to silo yourself into only attending conferences that are directly reflective of your current position. Keep your professional networks connected and have some fun by attending conferences that you wouldn’t normally expect. Here’s why I’m still going to NACA even though I don’t work in Student Activities anymore:
1. Because I LOVE NACA.
2. I am on the NACA MAM Ed Session Review Team.
3. I want to keep my options open – a student activities position might still be in my future someday!
4. I miss student activities.
5. To see some of my favorite people.
6. To meet some more awesome people.
7. To learn!
8. Because it’s so fun.
9. To see some awesome performances.
10. Lecture showcase.
FT/FQ: Have you ever attended a conference outside of your functional area? I would love to hear from you!
> BONUS <
Podcast With Eric Lambert on the History of Student Activities