Updating a presentation on social networks for my first-year seminar is my focus this week. In past years, Facebook has been the primary topic and I have posted about it here. This year I will add a top-10 list of online identity considerations from technology/online media guru Chris Pirillo.
1. It goes on your permanent record. Forever.
2. Be mindful of your privacy.
3. Don’t trust implicitly.
4. Own what you do.
5. Engage. Leave comments.
6. Be respectful, be respectable, and be respected.
7. Be yourself.
8. Watch out for flame wars and name calling.
9. Learn how to communicate.
10. Remember that your future employer, spouse, and neighbors are all watching.
Do you discuss Social Network Identity with your students?