Welcome to another great episode of The Student Affairs Spectacular Podcast!
We welcome Brittany Duron to the podcast this week to talk to our very own Higher Ed Geek, Dustin, about geeks and nerds on campus. This unique community and identity has it’s own needs and desires, which can present student affairs professionals with some hurdles to overcome. Much of the issues come from a cultural bias against geeks and nerds that comes to a head during high school, so college campuses welcome these students fresh off of the bullying and doubt from that environment. Brittany and Dustin share a bunch of great resources so make sure to check out some of them in the show notes!
We appreciate Brittany for taking time out for the show!
- Brittany Duron: Twitter, LinkedIn, Blog
- David Anderegg – “Nerds: How Dorks, Dweebs, Techies, and Trekkies Can Save America and Why They Might Be Our Last Hope”
- Alexandra Robbins – “The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory, and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School”
- Stephen H. Segal – “Geek Wisdom: The Sacred Teachings of Nerd Culture”
- Benjamin Nugent – “American Nerd: The Story of My People”
- Chris Hardwick – “The Nerdist Way: How to Reach the Next Level (In Real Life)”
- Joseph Dickerson – “i, geek: Confessions of a Geeky Mind”
Please share your thoughts and feedback in the comments and also be sure to rate us in the iTunes Store. It really helps us out!
Thanks for listening!